National Honor Society membership is based on a candidate’s outstanding performance in the areas of scholarship, service, leadership, and character. These students are high academic achievers, developing their leadership skills, and providing service to the community. It is through this culture of service that these relationships between the high school students and care center residents have developed.
National Honor Society students volunteer their time and talent to the Care Center. They have hosted fun events such as Casino Nights, Luaus, Spring Flings, and gone on outings to the County Fair with the residents. National Honor Society does not fundraise for its own benefit.
There are expenses that come up during the year for National Honor Society, and since the group focuses on volunteerism, they do not devote time to fundraising. If any local individuals or organization is interested in donating to the National Honor Society, they are encouraged to contact Advisor Katie Hasbargen, or mail donations to Lake of the Woods School, Attn: National Honor Society, PO Box 310, Baudette, MN 56623.
ANNUAL SERVICE PROJECTS
- Lake of the Woods School Calendar
- Dollars-for-Scholars Phone-a-Thon
- Trick/Treating for UNICEF
- Children’s Halloween Party at the Moose
- Salvation Army Bell Ringing
- Kids Night Out with ECFE
- Lake of the Woods School Blood Drive
- Pancakes at the Brink Center
- Senior Citizen Prom at the Brink Center
- American Cancer Society Survivors Dinner
- Take-A-Kid Fishing
- Care Center Residents at the Fair
- Judging and assisting at the County Fair
- American Cancer Society Relay for Life Cleanup